The goal of the Student Travel Award Program is to provide funds to assist students with transportation expenses to present their work at a professional meeting or national meeting ot to perform or exhibit creative works. Funding is transferred directly to a student travel account within the department, not to the recipient.
- Applicant must be enrolled during the time of travel at Ball State University, Burris Laboratory School or the Indiana Academy as a Graduate Student, Undergraduate Student, Burris High School Student - grades 11 or 12 or Indiana Academy High School Student - grades 11 or 12.
- Applicant must be presenting a paper, poster, etc. at the conference. Documentation of presentation acceptance or invitation is required at the time of application. Requests for creative arts presentations or performances should be competitive in nature (i.e. juried or invited).
- All student projects require the support of a faculty mentor or advisor. Students must ask a faculty member to serve as a mentor for the project.
- Currently funded undergraduate Aspire awardees can apply only if the current award is not paying for the same presentation.
- Graduate awardees may not hold this award concurrently with an ASPiRE Research or Creative award, a Tucker Autism Research or Travel Grant, or a Hollis Award.
- ASPiRE anticipates making approximately 40 graduate travel awards each fiscal year.
There is no formal proposal required for this grant. Instead please upload the following via Submittable:
- A copy of the acceptance of the presentation at the meeting or conference. This may be in the form of an email or letter from the conference organizer to the applicant or mentor, or a weblink to the conference program/agenda website, listing the applicant as a presenter.
- A 1 page Abstract of the presentation or performance.
- The deadline for student travel awards is the 15th of the month.
- Applications must be received during the month prior to travel.
- Funding decisions will be made by the 30th of the month prior to travel.
Funding Award Stipulations
- Only one travel grant per student will be awarded in a fiscal year.
- All travel must comply with the new BSU Travel Regulations and Procedures Manual.
- Award recipients must file the required Ball State travel documents (Travel Authorization, or TA) with their department at least 2 weeks prior to travel.
- International travel must comply with the International Travel Policy, which requires registration as soon as possible.
- Awards can be used for either travel expenses or registration fees.
- Maximum award amounts are $100 for undergraduate students and $1,000 for graduate students.
Final Report/Grant Closeout
- There is no final report required for this grant program.
- Funds not claimed within 90 days of travel will revert back to the Aspire Program
- It is the award recipient’s responsibility to file proper forms to claim grant funds. It is NOT the responsibility of the departmental clerical staff to see that grant funds are expended.